In Case You Were Wondering...

"Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. We have called by different names brethren of the same principle." Thomas Jefferson


"I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress." Frederick Douglass

Google

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Would you rest the fate of your family in a can of pepper spray?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Numerous American cities and towns have banned ownership of handguns or guns in general. Their thinking is that if handguns are banned then no one will own guns in their fair cities. Yet major cities like Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Chicago and many others continue to fight handgun violence on a regular basis. What happened to this law that was supposed to protect people?

Aren't the handgun laws in place to ensure that only the police and criminals have handguns? If the laws were properly obeyed by the populace then that means that the average law-abiding citizen would have to rely on a functioning "911" system, or perhaps a can of pepper spray when assaulted by a handgun weilding criminal. And since all handgun wielding criminals are such kind gentlemen they believe in fair play and will always give their victims a chance to call "911".

Right...and I just saw a pig flying outside my window. Why don't law abiding citizens have the right to...well their 2nd Amendment "rights"? Doesnt' our Bill of Rights attest to our right to keep and bear arms? If everyone had their rights intact, I think some of these handgun murders would decrease. Once you level the playing field the bad guys have to think a little harder before they go around shooting people reaching for their pepper spray. Have you ever tried to spray that stuff into a stiff wind? Can you see asking a mugger to move downwind so you can spray without getting a mouthful of spray yourself?

Furthermore, I'm concerned about a government that want's to abridge access to my rights. I have no desire to use a gun illegally but I do have a desire to defend my family and myself if assaulted with one. What am I supposed to do? Call "911" and hope the operator is awake and on the job? Is the bad guy going to be fair and judicious and wait for the police to show up? I don't think so. I need to be able to defend my family in a similar or superior manner than the one I am being assaulted with.

After spending 10 years as a military officer I understand the concept of "Fire Superiority". It means suppressing your enemy's firepower with superior firepower of your own. Ya can't do that with a stun gun! Especially if your batteries are dead.

Having been shot at before and feeling the heat of bullets narrowly missing my head, I know the helpless feeling of standing there with no way to get the bad guy to stop shooting. It's a feeling that I don't relish. No one does. However, that experience taught me some important things: I know that if I had been able to return fire, I would have because while scared I did not panic and I had my thoughts and wits about me. I even saved the guy who was with me from getting shot. In the midst of bullets cracking around my ears I thought clearly enough to act and to help someone else. I was calm enough to return fire if I had could have. However, since I wasn't in a position to, I grabbed my bewildered friend by the arm and ran as the bullets whispered death threats in our ears.

Secondly, the guy that was shooting at me was shooting because he knew I had no way to defend myself and had he known that I was similarly armed...there would have been no gunfire at all! We might have had a conversation about our differences. What a novel idea!

A government that seeks to disarm the populace should be held in suspicion. Even our founding fathers recognized the need for well armed militias. They understood that the people sometimes needed the ability to defend themselves against...their own governments.

No, I'm not some militia nut looking to hole up in the hills with cases of Spam. They're kooks and crazies. But I do feel strongly that the 2nd Amendment bears protecting. Once you abridge a person's right to defend themselves in the face of danger, you slowly begin to marginalize them a valuable human beings and citizens in the land of the free and the home of the brave. It says..."the government is all you need for personal defense. The government does not trust your ability to know when or how to defend yourself. Leave that to us."

Friends, having been shot at and held up in numerous stick ups...I know that the government was nowhere to be found when I needed them most. Thank God for his providence and protection because without them, I wouldnt be here today.

Know your rights. Many have bled, died and sacrificed for us to have them.







"Love your neighbor as yourself and your country more than yourself."

Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Net Commando Marketing®,Inc. 2007 All Rights Reserved